Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's a Boy!!

A friend of mine just had to have a c-section after 24 hours of labor. After listening to her tell me the story of this I thought I would think back to my fun 12 hours of labor.

It all started at The Fox where I was watching Miss Siagon. I thought that the seats were just uncomfortable, but after I got home I noticed that the throbing in my back wasn't going away and then it turned into full blown contractions. After I got checked into the hospital I had a few uneventful hours. The doctor finally made the call to break my water. That is not fun. Since the baby had already had a bowel movement they had to hook him up to monitors and they also hooked me up to a tube that squirts water into the uterus to clean it out. For the life of me I can't remember the technical term, but basically it was like my water was breaking for hours. It was gross!! I went a few more uneventful hours before the pain finally started to get to me. At this point I requested the epideral. Unfortunately there were a few emergency c-sections so I had to wait over 2 hours for it. Finally I got the epideral, but not 20 minutes later I noticed an extreme pressure "down there". My lamaze couch took a look and the baby was starting to crown. It happened so quickly that no one was prepared and they had to run and get the doctor. I had a pretty easy time pushing. I did end up having an episiotomy cause the baby was big, 9lbs 3 oz. Ok so far you maybe thinking that the birth was simple, but here is where it gets bad. They took the baby to have his vitals checked and while they were doing this the doctor was taking care of the placenta, but for some reason it all wouldn't come out. So the doctor informed me that I may feel a little pressure, which I did when his whole arm disappeared inside me. It was freaky. I could see his arm, but I could feel him scrapping away inside the uterus. Then after they stitched me up they noticed that I wouldn't stop bleeding, so they knew something was wrong. I had to open me back up and discovered that I had torn 3 places on the inside. They had to have another doctor come in and assit the sewing up because I had to be held open. Luckily I was still numb and couldn't feel all this. When this was all done I finally got to hold the new lovely baby, but only for about 10 seconds before I decided to pass out for 7 hours from majoy blood lose. I don't remember anything until I woke up, but my coach informed me that my blood pressure was extremely low and kept setting of all the alarms. It all turned out ok and after a few weeks of extremely painful sitting and walking I healed all up and now I have a wonderful 5 year old.

I love to hear about other people's labor experiences, so feel free to leave your comments.

No comments: